Welcome to the fourth part in our Photoshop design tutorial. In this part you will learn how to design the main content. If you need some visual instructions please view the screencast or check the outcome of the tutorial using the demo link to the right of the video.
Main Column Set Up
Bigger left side column.
- Show guides, main column will be left two thirds.
- Add title text to left side 30pt, #333 and Museo Sans.
- Add paragraph of text underneath the title, spanning with two thirds with about 15px padding to the right guide line. Color #444, 12pt and Arial.
- Add another title and small paragraph for the "Services" boxes.
Rounded corner rectangles with service icons and details.
- Create a new folder in your layers called "service1".
- Using the rounded rectangle tool add a 180x250px shape.
- In blending options add a gradient overlay of light grey at the top to white at the bottom.
- Add a stroke 1px #ccc.
- Add an inner shadow coming from the top, color white 1px.
- Type a title inside this rounded rectangle. Size 18pt, color #444 and 1px white drop shadow.
- Type a short excerpt of text below the title. Size 12pt and color #666.
- Open up credit card icon and paste under the excerpt of text, center it within the shape.
- Duplicate the folder containing all these layers and reposition about 30px to the right.
- Change title text and icon and then repeat for the third.
Recent comments section of the right sidebar.
- Using the rectangle outline create a grey bar about 5px high which spans the width of the right sidebar (last third on the guides, leaving 30px to the right and 15px to the left.
- In blending options add a gradient overlay of light grey on the left to darker grey on the right.
- Type "Recent Comments" for the title text below this bar. Size 18pt and color #444.
- Create a new folder called "link1".
- Create a rectangle the same width as the grey bar but around 50px high.
- Fill with #f6f6f6, stroke 1px #ccc and inner shadow from the top 1px white.
- Open up thumbnail and place on the left side of the rectangle.
- Select the outline of the thumbnail, enlarge by 3px then create a new layer and fill with white. Then add a 1px stroke, color #ddd. Make sure this layer is below the thumbnail image.
- Add text 12pt, color #444. First line being an example link title and second being an example date.
- Color the first line – which represents the link – in blue and add an underline.
- Duplicate this link folder and place directly below. Repeat until you have 5.
Client testimonial section of the right sidebar.
- Copy the grey bar and title from recent comments and place below the end of the links.
- Change text to Client Testimonial.
- Open the icon of the client.
- Paste to the left side under the testimonial title.
- In blending option add a light grey color overlay.
- Type an example client name under the icon, 12pt and color #444.
- Type an example paragraph to the right of the icon. Change color to #666.
These instructions are intended as a guide to go along with the screencast. For a better understanding of whats going on view the video.